Cutting an image into pieces in Photoshop.
Let's say we have an image that is jm pixels wide and kn pixels high:
bubbles.jpg -- 300 by 200 pixels
And let's say we'd like to cut it into jk pieces each m by n pixels, using Photoshop 7. For the example let's assume j=3 and k=2, id est, we'd like to make 6 square pieces, each 100 by 100 pixels.
1. Open the image in Photoshop and choose the "slice tool."
2. Holding the mouse down for a moment on the slice tool, toggle it to the "slice select tool."
3. Once the "slice select tool" has been chosen, click on the image. The previously greyed-out buttons labeled "slice options" et cetera, should become active. Click on "divide slice."
4. Enter values of j and k (in this case 3 and 2); then click OK.
5. From the File menu, choose "save for web". Shift-click until all slices have yellow borders. Choose an appropriate file format, then Save.
6. Name the file and choose "HTML and images"; then click on Save.
7. Photoshop will create an HTML page, with a table, with the images all nicely nestled inside. Like here: bubbles.html
8. The images will, by default, be named after the original picture and stuck in a folder named "Images":